I am a little excited about the daily emails I am receiving from Dubai, South Africa, Barcelona, Ohio…all for my Easter Pot Holder pattern.  I posted this on my first blog but now that I have my lovely tablet and mobile friendly website I can now post it here and you can find the pattern at the end of this post.

I originally posted this on the 5 March 2012.

IMG_8054

I have just made a stack of these Easter Pot Holders for all the teacher assistants at the kids school.  No doubt they will be inundated with chocolate, so why not give something a bit different.

I have used Insul Bright inside these.  Insul Bright is a type of wadding which has a metallic sheet woven through the fibres.  Most fabric stores sell this, it cost me around $10 per metre.  Please note that this filling is not like the commercial grade and won’t handle extreme temperatures.  It may be worth mentioning when gifting just incase someone burns themself.

As far as fabric choice goes, I used up my scrap fabrics.  You can co-ordinate many fabrics when making these.

I like to use my Walking Foot to make these.

Here is a tutorial for you all to make too.

CUT FABRIC

Cut 2 egg shapes from your fabric.
Cut 4 pocket pieces from fabric.
Cut 1 egg shape & 2 pocket pieces from Insul Bright.

THE POCKETS
Lay on your table;
1 pocket piece from Insul Bright
1 pocket piece from fabric, right side up
1 pocket piece from fabric, right side down
Pin along top edge and stitch with a 1cm seam allowance.

Trim seam allowance close to stitching.
Press fabric and turn to right side.

Top stitch about 5mm from top edge.
Repeat for other pocket.

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
Lay on your table;
1 egg shape piece from Insul Bright
1 fabric egg shape piece, right side up
2 finished pockets
and finally the last egg shape piece with right side facing down.
Pin all around egg.

With a 1cm seam allowance stitch around egg, leaving an opening at the side of the egg.
Trim seam allowance close to stitched edge.
Turn through to right side.  It is only a small opening, so please be patient at this stage while you pull the fabric through to the right side.

Press well, tuck in excess fabric, pin and stitch the opening closed.  I also stitch the other side too, just so it looks even.
That’s it, you are done!

click here for Easter Pot Holder Pattern

About these ads

15 Responses to “Easter Pot Holder”

1. sharon shields

Can you please send me your pattern? I love them what a wonderful idea to use up scraps and give a gift at the same time.

2. Lisa SewBubbles

What a lovely idea! Now you can add Elbert Colorado USA to your long list of followers! I am going to add some machine embroidery to mine and whip up a few of these! Looking forward to following your blog in the future!

3. Wendy

Thank you for this pattern! My mom is hosting Easter this year and I wanted to give her a little something. So cute! Thanks – from Ohio! :)

4. Maria

I’m living in the middle east so your potholder pattern is really getting around. Thanks so much for the tutorial. Yours are so pretty.

5. Too Cute | SewKnit

[…] Easter egg oven mitts. I find them extremely cute and luckily I had the perfect fabric on hand. I made two mitts and it didn’t even take a full fat quarter. I had some leftover insul-brite from when I was making potholders so everything lined up perfectly. It took me like 30 minutes tops to make one. Love it! The tutorial can be found here. […]

6. Sally

Hi

Really cute, thank you. I have made other oven gloves using insul bright but tend to use it double thickness for the bit between the pot and your hand, haven’t burned myself yet. I don’t know if thies would make it a bit thick for this idea but worth a thought.

Sally

7. Carla Phillips

What a wonderful tutorial. Making some of these for Christmas gifts in Michigan!!…I got brown material with green inside accent and turning the “egg” shape into a Football. This will be a perfect compliment with my Detroit Lions apron. a great gift for any bachelor or sports fan in your family!!!

8. Margaret

Just finshed making 4 pair but they are to long for my hands, great for my husbands. All i did was cut an inch or so from one end and rounded it off and cut a bit off each side to thin it up. Perfect for my hands!!